Friday, November 14, 2008

Gifted and Talented?????






Having survived for 7 plus years with our darling Ashton, where on a daily basis I ask myself "Why am I being punished?" I was a good kid, I never talked back to my parents or threw fits of rage that made my parents question the possibility of an exorcism. But because of Ashtons head strong personality we have been down that road a few too many times. But just when I was about to throw in the towel, give up, face the music, we must just be bad parents, I found out the truth. This is how it all happened....
Rylie brought home an application for the Gifted and Talented program at her school. She was interested in applying for a spot in the program. There were several steps that needed to be completed before she could turn in her application. One of those being a "parent form" , I proceeded to do my part by filling out the information. I came to a section where several character traits were listed. I was to choose the ones that best described Rylie.
Statement 1: Is curious- wants to know how and why, asks a lot of detailed questions.
I smiled as I thought not so much Rylie more Ashton.

Statement 2: Questions rules. A bigger smile breaks out across my face
as this is definitely an Ashton trait.

Statement3: Solves problems in unusual ways. If getting out of trouble counts,
this is Ashton also.
Statement4: Responds intensely to frustration. This may be the greatest defining trait of Ashton.
Statement 5: Tend to rebel against what is routine or predictable. Are you kidding? For 7 and a half years Ashton has had to go to bed each and every one of those nights, yet you would never know it, for she hates to go to sleep and we battle it every night. (This is where her personality trait #3 comes in very handy for her nightly defense.)
Statement 6: Resents being interrupted from something that interests her. By this time I have gotten Doug and we are laughing uncontrollably.

Statement7: Gets others to do what she wants. With Ashton it is her way or the highway, but she is very sneaky and uses reverse psychology often when playing with her friends, so they don't even realize that she always gets her way.

Statement8": Is strong willed. If there were a competition for this she would win.
Statement9: Is frustrated with imperfections in others and self. And she will let you know it too!

After finishing reading through the form Doug and I came to the only possible conclusion and we wanted you all to know that we have ourselves a GIFTED and TALENTED child! I am sorry I did not recognize the signs earlier, no wonder she has been so frustrated with us as parents she really is so much smarter than we are. I don't know how many times she has tried to tell us that and we just would not listen.
What I really want to know is who in the #@** designed this character trait check list to determine the "gifted and talented".















6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I might me in the same catagory as Ashton! It's looks like you had a great Halloween! Kids make Holidays so much better. I do remember you always bringing your kids to my house trick-or-treating and I really loved it. Have a great day--

Chelsi said...

That is the so freakin funny! Aren't you BLESSED to have a gifted AND talented child. ;)haha Thanks for sharing that, it was something great to smile about today.

Vanessa said...

Well, at least they weren't having you fill out forms for Special Ed. Then she would be in my class.

The Allred Family said...

That is HILARIOUS! I was cracking up! Hey, now you know and you can stop trying to suppress that behavior, since being "gifted and talented" is something we aspire to be! I love it.

Alicia said...

Oh Kami....bless your heart!! Thanks for the good laugh!! THat is hilarious!! It seems like there always has to be one in every family, RIGHT?!! Little Syd. has always seemed to be our trial, and Shaun and I have just decided that one day she is going to channel all of that strong-willed, defiant, independent, irrational, outlandish behavior into somethig amazing!! Good luck...it's a good thing she's so dang cute!! Have a great day!!

Unknown said...

Kami somtimes it is soooo good to hear these kinds of things! I may need to take a look at that list I think I may just have a "gifted & talented" teenager! lol keep it up!