Tuesday, June 8, 2010

5th grade bike hike

It is a great right of passage to complete 5th grade and attend the annual 5th grade bike hike. This is where all 5th graders attempt to ride their bikes from the school to the Deseret Peak Complex which is 8 miles away.
I was excited to helmet up and ride along side Rylie and her class!
Here we are waiting for the police escort! There were lots of kids and parents up for the challenge!
It was a very very (60 mile per hour) windy day and on a few stretches of the road it was easier to push the bike than try to ride it!
Rylies bike got a flat tire about a mile away from our destination. So I gave her mine and put hers on the trailer that at this point was filled with bikes that had flats, people who had wrecked, or those who just could not contend with the wind any longer. I was going to hop in one of the cars trailing behind us but there was no room so I decided just to run the last mile.

Here we are, we all made it and the reward of ice cream sandwiches, pizza, drinks and a few hours of swimming made it all worth it. The ride back to the school was a little easier, they were wetter but it was more down hill!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

We were partner for the bike hike? Do you remember? So fun!